The Government of India dissolved the existing “National Health Agency” and restructured it to form a new body called as “National Health Authority” (NHA) for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY)
The decision was taken by the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi to enable faster decision making and ensure smooth implementation of Ayushman Bharat scheme – hailed as one of the world’s largest health insurance scheme.
Whats new about NHA?
- NHA’s governing board will be chaired by the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare along with other members being NITI AYOG’s CEO & NHA CEO. The post of NHA CEO is now upgraded to that of Secretary with power to disburse finances and total administrative control of the body
- The governing board now comprises of representatives from the government, domain experts and state government representatives on rotational basis
- While there is no new funds released the NHA will continue to utilize the existing budget approved by the cabinet – including costs related to IT, human resources, infrastructure, operational cost etc
- The NHA has been accorded full accountability, authority & mandate to implement PM-JAY through an efficient, effective & transparent decision making process
- The NHA board is expected to meet every quarter with complete autonomy on the day to day operations
#AyushmanBharath #Healthcare #NITIAYOG #NHA